- She’s big, all right.
- Her physical appearance was based on Lainie Kazan, who had recently appeared topless in Playboy. Bom-Chicka-Wow-Wow!
- She’s married to Mister Miracle, and in a reversal of the stereotype associated with female characters at the time of her creation, Barda is physically more powerful than her husband, Mister Miracle, and very protective of him. Anyone who thinks that wives can’t kick ass has obviously never been married.
- The characterization between Barda and Scott ‘Mister Miracle’ Free was based largely—though with tongue in cheek—on the interplay between Kirby and his wife Roz. If Kirby is the King of Comics, then hail to the Queen, baby.
- The name Big Barda is just fun to say.
- She was a member of the future Justice League in the Batman Beyond timeline, though as a last-minute replacement for Wonder Woman, who couldn’t be used at the time. Speaking of…
- Her skill and strength is such that she has fought Wonder Woman to a draw.
- She’s a flippin’ New God.
- She was born on Apokolips, but later reformed and moved to Supertown, which also fun to say.
- She possesses immense superhuman strength that puts her into the same strength class as Superman and Wonder Woman, and is also highly resistant to blunt force trauma, temperature and pressure extremes, and is partially bulletproof. Work it, sister.
- Her Apokoliptan physiology prevents her from aging and makes her immune to disease. 365 is the new 30.
- She wields a high tech weapon of Apokoliptan origins called a “Mega-Rod.” The rod is capable of producing extremely powerful concussive bolts capable of felling beings as durable as Superman, allows Barda to teleport herself and others long distances, can increase gravitational forces, and can be used as an indestructible club in melee combat. Shoot, who needs pepper spray?
- She has access to other forms of Fourth World technology, including Aero-Discs that allow her to defy gravity and fly, Apokoliptan battle armor that augments her already impressive durability, and a Mother Box, which she can use to create Boom Tubes for transportation over long distances and between dimensions. Much cooler than those lame so-called ‘hoverboards’ which don’t actually hover and have wheels. Those things are just Segways without the handles!
- She has 2 main costumes: her battle armor (above) and for more relaxed times, this little number:
Do I really need to say ‘Bom-Chicka-Wow-Wow’ again?
You must be logged in to post a comment.